Communication Theory Annotated BibliographyFor this assignment, you will select and investigate a communication theory and create an annotated bibliography that conforms to American Psychological Association format and style requirements.1. Choose a communication theory from the followingAny group or or.
Communication Theory Annotated Bibliography
For this assignment, you will select and investigate a communication theory and create an annotated bibliography that conforms to American Psychological Association format and style requirements.
1. Choose a communication theory from the following:
Any group or organizational comm theory EXCEPT Groupthink
Cultural Studies, Cultivation Analysis, Spiral of Silence and Media Ecology theories but NOT Uses and Gratifications
Any of the Culture and Diversity theories
Any of the Relationship Development theories
2. Click on Resources > Library in the blue navigation bar at the top of our classroom screen or go to the UMUC Library at http://www.umuc.edu/library/library.html . You will be taken to the OneSearch page in our library.
3. Click on Research Guides > Course Research Guides on that page to find this class's communication theory resources. Review information about the theory you'd like to pursue. The Encyclopedia of Communication Theory would be a good source for this.
4. Then go back to the OneSearch page and use the Research Databases or the Advanced Search function to explore information related to your major or your planned career in the list.
5. Once you are done exploring, search for peer-reviewed journal articles about the communication theory and career you're interested in. Your job is to explore research on communication theories or skills that has been conducted about your chosen career field. For example, “nursing” and “standpoint theory” or “nursing” and “empathetic listening.”
6. Report the subject area.
7. Report the database(s) you used for your search.
8. Report the keywords you used in your searches.
9. Write an introductory paragraph (~250-300 words) describing the reasons you chose that theory or researcher in the context of the following question:
How can an understanding communication theory supplement your skills and the insights you will need to succeed in your future work?
10. Select three articles from the databases in your field of study or career interest that support your thesis in response to the question posed in Step 9.
11. Write an annotated bibliography for the three articles that best support your thesis. If you are unfamiliar with an annotated bibliography, click on Resources > Effective Writing Center in the classroom navigation bar to learn about them from our writing center, or go to the Purdue OWL. You need to write a complete APA citation for each article. Then write a summary of at least 150 words for each article that includes an explanation of how the article supports your thesis. Make sure each summary or “annotation” includes a specific quote that illuminates what you learned from the article.
12. Please be sure to write carefully and well, using good grammar and APA-style in-text citations for quotes, summaries, and paraphrases.
A sample annotated bibliography for this assignment is attached. Yours is due in the assignments area of the classroom by 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday, Week 3. (Worth 15% of your grade.) You can submit it through the link below or directly to your assignment folder through the Assignments link in the blue navbar above.
For this assignment, you will reflect on how your participation in social and cultural activities has contributed to the formation of your identity. Its purpose is for you to demonstrate a practical application of communication concepts to your life. You are to explore how your educational, co-curricular, family, and work experiences have contributed to the way you communicate, using theories from the first week’s readings. Write an essay of at least 700 words. Use these topics to get you started:
? Your racial and/or ethnic identity
? Your gender identity
? Your social class
? Your goals to achieve success in life (however you define “success”)
? What it means to be healthy
? What it means to be positively involved in community activities
? What it means to communicate in a mature, competent fashion
You might use this sample essay to help you understand your instructor’s minimum expectations for this assignment.
General assessment rubric:
Did the essay address how your participation in social and cultural activities contributed to the formation of your identity? (45 points)
Did the essay identify any of the communication theories discussed so far? (30 points)
Was the essay at least 500-700 words in length? (15 points)
Were there any errors in APA format or documentation, or spelling, punctuation, grammar, syntax or style? (10 points)
Research Study Analysis
For this assignment, you will analyze a research study that was published in the Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. This study is typical of how communication research findings are presented in scholarly journals. It follows a set pattern that all research studies in the empirical tradition follow, so you will look more at its “structure” than its content.
Go to “The Impact of Language Variety and Expertise on Perceptions of Online Political Discussions.”
Write a 1,050-word essay in which you describe the study based on the major headings used in the article. Make sure your essay includes answers to these questions:
* What is a literature review? What does it do?
* What terms are defined?
* How many hypotheses are there?
* Where does the Research Methodology appear in the study?
* How many cases or subjects were there in the study?
* How many hypotheses were supported by the data?
* Where are the “conclusions” given in the research paper?
(You will likely be baffled by the statistical analyses used on the data collected by the researchers unless you have had a few courses in statistics. You can skip this section of the study.)
Finally, analyze what you learned about the study. Based on what you have read in our course content, was this study well designed? Why or why not? Make sure to support all your claims with directly quoted, summarized and paraphrased material from your course resources that you have properly cited with APA-style in-text citations and end-of-text references.
Comm300 Mid-Point Test latest2017
COMM 300 Mid-Point Test
2 pages, 10 brief essay-response questions = 100%
Due in your Assignment folder by 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday, Week 5
Please save and upload your test as a .doc, .docx, or .RTF attachment with the following filename: Test_Yourlastname
Your name: ____________________________ Date: ____________________
This course focuses on these major theories about relational, group, organizational and cultural influences on interpersonal communication behaviors:
Symbolic Interaction Theory
Coordinated Management of Meaning
Communication Privacy Management
For your final paper in this course, you have been asked to research and analyze one of the listed theories. (In some classes you also may apply your research to an individual or group presentation.)
For this mid-point test, you will tell your instructor what you have learned about the theory that you are investigating in your final paper, then apply your understanding to a specific research study.
The SAGE Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods
The Encyclopedia of Communication Theory
Make sure to use in-text citations and end-of-text references in APA style to any resources you consulted in answering these questions. Continue to Page 2.
Answer the Following Questions (10 points each)
Part 1: Your Theory
Please provide the full name of the theory that you are investigating in your final paper:
1. In your own words, summarize that theory’s primary axiom(s) or assumption(s).
2. In your own words, summarize that theory’s hypothes(es) and/or postulate(s).
3. In your own words, summarize any strengths or weaknesses of the theory.
4. To which of the seven communication traditions does this theory belong? Define the term that you use in your answer and explain why this theory belongs in that category.
5. To which of the seven communication contexts does this theory belong? Define the term that you use in your answer and explain why this theory belongs to that category.
6. To which of the three approaches to knowing does this theory belong positivist/empirical, interpretative/hermeneutic, critical)? Define the term that you use in your answer and explain why this theory belongs to that category.
Part 2: Your Research Study
Select a research study that uses your theory from among the peer-reviewed scholarly journal articles you wrote about in your annotated bibliography assignment for this class.
7. What type of research method(s) was used in this study (qualitative or quantitative)? Define the term that you use in your answer and explain why the research in your journal article reflects this approach.
8. Did the research in this study seek to answer questions of ontology, epistemology, or axiology about the nature of reality? Define the term that you use in your answer and explain why the research in your journal article reflects this approach.
9. Did this study reflect pure research or applied research? Define the term that you use in your answer and explain why the research in your journal article reflects this approach.
10. How did the researcher(s) operationalize (make measurable and observable) the phenomena investigated in the study?
END OF QUESTIONS
Communication Theory Presentation
If you are working in a group, you will be expected to actively engage with your classmates in the development and discussion of this presentation to receive full credit for this project. In the hybrid classes, you will be expected to be present in-person in class to make the presentation.
For your group project, you will work with classmates to develop the equivalent of a 5-7-minute presentation that illustrates and explains a specific interpersonal communication theory or set of theories as one might experience it in the workplace–but other scenarios would be acceptable. The theories must be selected from the “approved” list here and may be based on your earlier research for this class.
Dramatize, illustrate and/or explain your theories through an informative original presentation enhanced by (a) multimedia aid(s) such as a YouTube video, Pinterest or other inspiration board, podcast, vlog, Animoto, Prezi, music, animation, PPT, interactive game, or other multimedia presentation technology, skit, game, etc. The presentation should be designed to help the rest of the class understand interpersonal communication principles, so it can entertain while it explains. Demonstrate what you have learned!
This project is intended to be a fun way for you to demonstrate your understanding of the general principles we've been examining, both in the presentations you produce and the way you interact in a small group or individually with your class.
You may choose the theory(ies) you wish to educate the class on from any area of communication research except the Groupthink and Uses and Gratifications theories.
Study groups can dramatize, illustrate, and/or explain more than one theory in the same presentation, especially if the principles are closely related. Study groups also can split up team members to tackle multiple presentations or multiple theories, so long as the theories examined are closely aligned and coordinated.
Presentations will be evaluated for substance and creativity. Students assigned to group presentations will be expected to actively participate in the development of their group's presentation. If that group presentation is prepared for an online class, all members of the study group will be expected to actively engage their classmates in discussion of their own and their classmates' presentations in the designated discussion forum.
If that group presentation is prepared for a hybrid class, all members of the study group must be present at and participating in the face-to-face classroom presentation to be eligible to receive credit for this project.
Your instructor reserves the right to grade individual contributions to group projects differentially based on apparent quality and quantity of effort in the study groups. Each of you also will be asked to complete peer evaluations privately on your study group teammates to aid in this process. You may use any of the evaluation forms posted here and in your study group.Please return yours in your assignment folder with your contribution to the group project.
In both online and hybrid courses, you must post your individual presentation or your individual contribution(s) to the group project in the appropriate assignment folder by 11:59 p.m.ET, Sunday of Week 7, unless otherwise instructed.
For online classes, please also have one member of your group post the finalized presentation in the appropriate Week 7 or 8 discussion area. Online classes will discuss the projects through Week 8.
Online students are to post at least two observations on presentations other than their own group’s as well as engage in conversation with their classmates about the presentations through Sunday of Week 8.
Communication Theory Research Paper
For this assignment, you will research and analyze a communication theory. Your paper should be at least 1,750- to 2,100 words, use at least four authoritative sources of which at least two are peer-reviewed journal articles, be written in third person, take a scholarly tone, and reflect APA format and documentation rules. (Worth 25% of your final grade.)
Here are some reflection questions to get your started:
Why were you drawn to this theory? What captivated you to want to write about it?
What have you learned about the theory?
How do you relate to it? Have you seen it used in the media, such as in news coverage, speeches, political advertisements or commercials for products?
Is the theory still applicable today? Does it still have meaning? How is it reflected in the workplace? In the social setting?
What have the critics said about the theory?
Communication Theory Annotated BibliographyFor this assignment, you will select and investigate a communication theory and create an annotated bibliography that conforms to American Psychological Association format and style requirements.1. Choose a communication theory from the followingAny group or or