Policing in America
- Read Week 4 Assignment: Policing in America [PDF], which is based on a true case scenario, for insight into the psychological factors that come into play between police and the community.
- Put yourself in the shoes of a criminal justice intern shadowing the forensic psychologist at your local police station. You’ve been asked to conduct research to help prepare for a workshop about the psychological aspects related to policing. In doing so, you will help police understand the value a forensic psychologist can bring to situations that the police must face in the field regarding mental illness and addiction.
- Refer to Chapter 4 in your textbook and the B.S. in Criminal Justice Library Guide for resources for completing this assignment.
Write a 2–3 page report in which you answer the following questions:
- What are the roles of police and law enforcement today when dealing with individuals with mental illness?
- How do these roles factor in the encounters between police and citizens?
- What are some of the stressors police faced in relation to the scenario you read?
- What are some assessments forensic psychologists conduct that help police learn to intervene and re-focus or de-escalate situations?
- According to the text, the Joint Committee on Police Psychology Competencies has identified four general domains of proficiency that include the assessment domain, the intervention domain, the operational domain, and the consulting domain. In what capacity was Maggie Hendriks working with Officer Smith to help his future performance?
- Use three academic resources to support your responses. Your textbook can be included as a resource. Consult Basic Search: Strayer University Online Library and the B.S. in Criminal Justice Library Guide for the other two sources.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Examine the psychological understanding and response to offending behavior, encompassing the police.