The perks of being a wallflower.
1) List the criteria for PTSD from the NIMH (National Institute for Mental Health) link. Using examples from the movie, please describe how you believe Charlie fits into this diagnosis.
2) Read the Putnam article on childhood trauma. List at least 4 important aspects of childhood trauma he presents and discuss how this relates to the movie.
3) How do you see Charlie developing and growing throughout the movie. What specific behavior/thoughts/emotions change and what do you think helps Charlie?
4) How did the movie impact you and/or how do you feel this movie could likely impact viewers close to the characters’ ages? Is it motivational? Depressing? Something else? Why?
5) What message does it send about mental health?
6) Finally, comment on the movie within the movie. What role do you see the movie serving for the characters?