Your Full NameUMUC Biology 102/103Lab 6 TaxonomyINSTRUCTIONS• On your own and without assistance, complete this Lab 6 Answer Sheet electronically and submit it via the Assignments Folder.
Your Full Name:
UMUC Biology 102/103
Lab 6: Taxonomy
• On your own and without assistance, complete this Lab 6 Answer Sheet electronically and submit it via the Assignments Folder by the date listed in the Course Schedule (under Syllabus).
• To conduct your laboratory exercises, use the Laboratory Manual located under Course Content. Read the introduction and the directions for each exercise/experiment carefully before completing the exercises/experiments and answering the questions.
• Save your Lab 6 Answer Sheet in the following format: LastName_Lab6 (e.g., Smith_Lab6).
• You should submit your document as a Word (.doc or .docx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf) file for best compatibility.
1. Use the following classifications to determine which organism is least related out of the three. Explain your rationale.
Table 2: Classifications
Classification Level American Green Tree Frog European Fire- Bellied Toad Eastern Newt
Domain Eukarya Eukarya Eukarya
Kingdom Animalia Animalia Animalia
Phylum Chordata Chordata Chordata
Class Amphibia Amphibia Amphibia
Order Anura Anura Caudata
Family Hylidae Bombinatoridae Salamandridae
Genus Tursipops Bombina Notophthalmus
Species cinerea bombina viridescens
2. How has DNA sequencing affected the science of classifying organisms?
3. You are on vacation and see an organism that you do not recognize. Discuss what possible steps you can take to classify it.
Exercise 1: Dichotomous Key Practice
Table 3: Dichotomous Key Results
Organism Binomial Name
1. What do you notice about the options of each step as they go from number one up?
2. How does your answer from Question 1 relate to the Linnaean classification system?
Exercise 2: Classification of Organisms
Data Tables and Post-Lab Assessment
Table 2: Key Characteristics of Some Organisms
Domain Defined Nucleus Motile Cell Wall Photosynthesis Unicellular
E. coli Yes Yes
Protozoa Yes Yes Yes
Mushroom Yes Yes
Sunflower Yes Yes Yes
Bear Yes Yes
Figure 4: Exercise 2 – Classification of Organisms Flow Chart
1. Did this series of questions correctly organize each organism? Why or why not?
2. What additional questions would you ask to further categorize the items within the kingdoms (Hint: think about other organisms in each of the kingdoms and what makes them different than the examples used here)?
3. What questions would you have asked instead of the ones that you answered above when classifying the organisms?