Module 1: Case Assignment |.
INTRODUCTION TO EPIDEMIOLOGY: THE EPIDEMIOLOGIC APPROACH
Task 1 for this modular component
Using the materials in the module homepage and in the background section, please address the following:
- Define and describe the field of Epidemiology (1/2 page)
- Define and explain epidemiologic transition and describe the factors involved in epidemiologic transition (1 page)
- Say we suspect a relationship between a specific dietary factor and heart disease. Can you think of ways of epidemiologically assessing whether indeed the dietary factor is a determinant of heart disease? (1/2 page)
- Which types of diseases do you think pose a greater risk for the population of the United States: infectious diseases or chronic diseases. Please explain (1/2-1 page)
Task 2 for this modular component
- As part of a State Budget and Appropriations Subcommittee, you have been charged with reviewing health data of local health jurisdictions and establishing priorities for funding for the upcoming fiscal year.
Review the following information
Eagle Rock County
San Marino County
Number of Deaths
Cause of Death
Coronary Heart Disease
Motor Vehicle Accident
Your task is to answer these questions:
Calculate and compare the crude and age-specific death rates for each of the three counties (refer to the information Crude, Specific, and Adjusted Rates in the module homepage). Based on the crude death rate, which county appears to have the greatest need for funding? Does the age-specific death rate change your view regarding which county has a greater need for funding? Explain. Why is it possible to have a low crude rate and higher age-specific death rates?
Calculate and compare the cause-specific death rates (Use the information at http://www.pitt.edu/~super1/lecture/lec0441 from your background readings). For this, combine data from all counties. Based on the data provided, what do you think are the main health priorities?
Length: Case assignments should be at least 5 pages (1250 words) in length.
Assessment and Grading: Your paper will be assessed based on the performance assessment rubric that is linked within the course. Review it before you begin working on the assignment. Your work should adhere to these MSHS Assignment Expectations.