Write a 3-4 page analysis that assesses your professional development needs as a nurse leader.
Use the library and the Internet to research key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts, and take several self-assessment tests to identify your leadership style and understand how to adapt your style to various situations. Although most of the free online tests are informal measures of skills and attitudes, the results may provide helpful insight into your leadership style and strengths and weaknesses.
Deliverable: Develop a Professional Development Needs Assessment.
You have been promoted to Nurse Manager. As you transition into your new role, Human Resources (HR) requires you to participate in a leadership and management training workshop. The first day of the workshop involves a self-assessment of your leadership and communication style and an examination of key characteristics of an effective nursing leader, culminating in an assessment of your professional development needs. HR requires you to submit a Professional Development Needs Assessment so future training sessions are designed to meet those self-identified needs.
Use the following subheadings to organize your Professional Development Needs Assessment:
- Leader and Manager:Differentiate between leadership and management.
- What job tasks require a manager?
- What situations require a leader?
- Key Concepts:Explain key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts that facilitate collaboration and support interprofessional teams.
- Explain how key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts facilitate collaboration with interprofessional teams.
- Leadership Self-Assessment:Describe your personal leadership and communication style.
- Explain the strengths of your style that make an effective leader.
- Skill Development:Identify skills or areas for future professional development.
- What training do you need to be a successful leader in your new position?
- Written communication:Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting:Resources and in-text citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
- Length:The plan should be 3–4 pages in content length, double-spaced.
- Font and font size:Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Number of resources:Use a minimum of three peer-reviewed resources less than 5 years old.
- Giltinane, C. L. (2013). Leadership styles and theories. Nursing Standard, 27(41), 35–39.
- Martin, D., Godfrey, N., & Walker, M. (2015). The baccalaureate big 5: What Magnet hospitals should expect from a baccalaureate generalist nurse. Journal of Nursing Administration, 45(3), 121–123.
- Doroteo-Espinosa, M. M. (2013, February). Management strategies and leadership styles of selected hospitals for effective clinical nursing supervision. Paper presented at the International Conference on Management, Leadership & Governance, Kidmore End, UK.
- Dickerson, P. S. (2014). Grounding our practice in nursing professional development. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 45(7), 288–289.
- Park, C. W. (2015). Interprofessional education: Implications for nursing professional development practice. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 31(4), 242–243.
- Hauck, S., Winsett, R. P., & Kuric, J. (2013). Leadership facilitation strategies to establish evidence-based practice in an acute care hospital. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 69(3), 664–674.