Discussion: Interprofessional Collaborative Practice and Advanced Practice Nurses.
Discussion: Interprofessional Collaborative Practice and Advanced Practice Nurses
Interprofessional practice requires that health care practitioners recognize that patient outcomes are better when there is a collaborative team approach in addressing patient health issues. Also, there are barriers to interprofessional practice that must be addressed among health care practitioners. The Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC) is an initiative including multiple professions designed to advance interprofessional education so that students entering health care professions are able to view collaboration as the norm and seek collaborative relationships with other providers (IPEC, 2011).
This week your Discussion will focus on interprofessional practice. This Discussion is an opportunity for you to examine your perspective and experiences with interprofessional collaborative practice and to apply your knowledge to managing patient care.
- Identify a professional nursing organization and review their position on interprofessional practice
- Review the following case study:
- Case Study:
- Ms. Tuckerno has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS). The patient receives care at an internal medicine clinic. Her internist is not in the office today and she is being treated by the nurse practitioner. The patient is on two medications for her MS, three different blood pressure medications, one medication for thyroid disease, one diabetic pill daily, insulin injections twice a day, she uses medical cannabis, and uses eye drops for glaucoma. Upon assessing the patient, the nurse practitioner (NP) decides her treatment plan should be adjusted. The NP discontinues some of the patient’s meds and discontinues medical cannabis. She orders the patient to follow up in two weeks.
- The patient returns and is seen by her internist. The internist speaks with the patient and reviews her medical chart. The internist states to the patient, “I am dissatisfied with the care you received from the nurse practitioner.” The internist places the patient back on originally prescribed medications and medical cannabis.
Post at least 250 words (no introduction or conclusion)
- an explanation of your understanding of interprofessional practice.
2. Also, explain the position on interprofessional practice for (The American Association of College of Nursing)
3 Then, explain what you think is the best collaborative approach to manage Ms. Tuckerno’s care.
Bankston, K., Glazer, G., (November 4, 2013) “Legislative: Interprofessional Collaboration: What’s Taking So Long?” OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing Vol. 19 No. 1.
Hain, D., Fleck, L., (May 31, 2014) “Barriers to Nurse Practitioner Practice that Impact Healthcare Redesign” OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing Vol. 19, No. 2, Manuscript 2.
Interprofessional Education Collaborative Expert Panel. (2011). Core competencies for interprofessional collaborative practice: Report of an expert panel. Washington, D.C.: Interprofessional Education Collaborative
Buppert, C. (2015). Appendix 11-D: Sample Professional Services Agreement. In Nurse Practitioner’s Business Practice and Legal Guide (5th ed.) (417-422). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
Buppert, C. (2015). Legal Scope of Nurse Practitioner Practice. In Nurse Practitioner’s Business Practice and Legal Guide (5th ed.) (37-78). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.