Mute discussion question. Read the essay “Mute in an English-Only World” by Chang-Rae Lee (149-151), then choose ONE of the following questions and write a response.
1. What examples from the essay illustrate the mother’s discomfort with the English language during her first few years in America?
2. How does the author’s mother learn to speak English?
3. Why is the English workbook an important part of this story?
4. Why do you think the author wrote this essay?
5. How does the writer organize her details in paragraph 16? Is this an effective order?