Reading response to Kawabata Yasunari, Thousand Cranes
Choose one or more of the following questions and write a response paper of 1-2 pages, double-spaced
1. In what ways does this novel reflect the experience of war and defeat?
2. What significance does the tea ceremony have in the novel?
3. How does the novel treat themes of sin and transgression?
4. What is the role of aesthetics in determining the behavior of characters and their
5. What are some distinctive features of the novel’s narrative structure?
6. How would you describe Kikuji’s relationship to his father? Does he want to become
like his father or does he want to establish his own independent identity?
Thousand cranes start at the page 200